WELCOME

Hello there everyone, and welcome to my blog (hats off to 'Blogging for Dummies' for teaching this dummy how to....you know!).

I am overweight; make that very overweight. I think the technical term is 'morbidly obese'....ouch! Over the last few years I have had a few health warning shots, enough to make me realise that although there is nothing going on with my health that can't be reversed; my time is running out to do something about it before something really bad happens.

So this is my journey to health, and the plan is an ambitious one. I want to lose weight, and I want to get fitter; fit enough to run the Manchester 10k in May of 2012, fit enough to run a half marathon towards the end of 2012, and then fit enough to run the London Marathon in 2013, where the blogging journey will end at the finish line down the Mall.

I write this in the hope that the words and thoughts of both myself and readers can inspire me when the journey gets difficult, then hopefully people can be inspired by my story; believing that the most difficult journey is possible.

I make a promise to you that I will be honest - if the wheels fall off and I have six pizzas in two days, I will come clean - and I will do my very best. Share it with me.

......Wish me luck!!

Tuesday 25 February 2014

The Time Has Come People

So let’s see people; what have we learnt from this experience??
  • always look to see if a treadmill is moving before stepping on it 
  • if a treadmill is moving….turn it off before stepping on it
  • ‘as sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti’ is a really good song lyric
  • ‘The Adjustment Bureau’ and ‘City Lights’ are BRILLIANT movies
  • there should be a driving test for people with shopping trolleys
  • acts of random kindness are great things
  • life is good
  • being fit and healthy is good
  • anyone who runs a marathon is mentally unstable
  • the impossible, is sometimes possible; and the journey between the two is - I hope - worthy of the telling
This has been a truly amazing experience for me. To have the idea of such a madcap challenge, to have the personal insight that writing about it would present me with the best chance of pulling it off, and then to actually succeed in doing it. There is something so beautiful about the completeness of it. I know exactly where I was when I had the idea, I know exactly where I was when I crossed the finish line (just about) and I know exactly where I am, now that it is drawing to a close. However I cannot end proceedings without – in true Oscar fashion – saying some grateful thank you’s…..

To Alison; my biggest fan, my biggest encourager, my biggest blog-reader, AND the only person ever to be present at an official Tuesday night weigh-in. Alison, I honestly don’t know if I would have done it without you; I might have but I am so glad I didn’t have to find out, and I am even gladder you were there at the marathon to see a success that you played such a part in.

To Dom and Christina; the only people who supported me in person at every single race: Manchester, Newcastle and London. You have no idea how great it was to see you in the crowd; it was always good for a few miles.

To Clare; always there. Present in Manchester and London, and backing me up any time it was needed. SO appreciated.

To Paul, Martha, Greg, Patricia, Alejandro, Anna. Whether in big ways or small; they supported me all the way, and were there at the finish. They also contributed considerably to setting the table on a roar both metaphorically and at the marathon, literally!

To Mum and Dad; I hope I did you proud by running in loving, living, past and existing memories of you both. Thank you for making me a person that could pull this off, and I love you both very much.

To all of you who have at any point visited this blog. I never advertised it - and it didn't break any records for popularity - and yet you happy few still came; you still read. I can’t tell you how exciting it was to log into the statistics page and find out that someone else had popped in for a read; and where they were from. It far exceeded my wildest expectations, even allowing for the 10-20 hits which were my own visits before I worked out how to remove them from the count!

And my final credit, is an unusual one (well, it is me so there’s bound to be a weird one isn’t there?!). I would like to thank words. Yes, words! They are capable of giving rise to the whole gamut of emotions. They can hurt, they can console, they can make you laugh, or make you cry. They can be powerful sources for good or evil. Whatever these particular words (and all those before) have done for you – and I hope they have touched you, even if only a little – I thank them most sincerely and hugely for inspiring this particular man to greatness. Words; I can state with complete certainty that I could not have done it without you. 

So my dear friends; the time has finally come. After…..

608 miles of training

8 hours, 33 minutes and 55 seconds of racing

3 stone 12 pounds weight loss

£1353.13 money raised for the British Heart Foundation (Great North/Manchester Runs 2013)

£1,627.94 money raised for Age UK (London Marathon 2014)

308 blog posts

6,475 blog hits……

….from the United Kingdom, the United States, Russia, Germany, Ukraine, Australia, Canada, France, China, India (naming the top ten).

981 days......

this blog is at an end (this is harder than I thought it was going to be). Like I said; look out for the new blog, but from fatmantofitman it's goodbye, thank you, and remember; whatever it is, it can be done; so have a go!!

THE END??

0 comments:

Post a Comment